Why lithium ion battery is the best choice for solar panels?
A solar battery is simply a storage system for the energy generated by the solar panels in your energy system. They might have an integrated energy conversion and performance monitor in their inverter. There are many types of batteries used in solar systems. But lithium ion battery for solar panel is the most commonly used ones. Each battery has different benefits and is used for different applications.
The Four Most Commonly Used Solar Batteries Are:
Lead acid batteries are deep cycle batteries and have been used as reliable power supplies for off-grid areas. This is a stand alone battery for decades, and its other key features are cost-effectiveness and safety. There are different types of lead acid batteries available. But it can cause severe injury if it is not handled correctly. They have a lower depth of discharge and can only safely discharge up to 50% of their capacity before impacting their life span. And it also takes a very longer time to charge.
Because of the many advantages over lead acid batteries, lithium ion batteries are popular in solar energy systems. It is very common in residential installations. The development of this battery was greatly influenced by its use in the electric vehicle sector.
Main features of a lithium ion battery:
- energy density: This kind of battery has the highest energy density among other commercial batteries, at 300 Wh/kg.
- Long lifespan : A lithium battery has a life span of 10-20 years. Lead acid batteries last no more than 3 years. So when compared to lead acid batteries, lithium has a longer lifespan.
- High discharge power: Compared to lead acid batteries, it can discharge deeper without causing damage. Thus, before the battery needs to be recharged, you can use more of the stored energy. It has efficient charging and discharging capacity.
- Safe and thermally stable: It is known for its extreme safety and stability. Its advanced designs prevent overheating and enhance safety.
- Less maintenance: Maintaining a lithium battery for solar panels is simpler than maintaining a lead acid battery. It is light in weight and a user-friendly choice because of its less frequent maintenance features. Lead acid batteries need to be watered, checked for electrolyte levels, and cleaned regularly.
- Nickel and cadmium: They are relatively heavy and have lower energy density compared to some newer technologies. Cadmium is toxic and causes environmental issues when it is disposed of.
- Flow batteries: Flow batteries for solar energy storage excel in scalability and extended cycle life. When compared to other batteries, it is bigger, has a high upfront cost, and is more complicated.
For homeowners, lithium batteries offer many attractive features at affordable rates. This is why lithium ion batteries are the most popular choice for solar systems in the world. There are many lithium ion battery companies available on the market that provide lithium ion batteries for solar panels. Offers efficient energy solutions for a sustainable tomorrow. Improve your energy storage experience.